Saturday, August 29, 2009

Munchos Where You Can Buy Them Pa

8.27 Bil` in - danse macabre intifada

Yesterday in Bil `in` s were Jimmy Carter, Fernando Cardoso and the other former presidents of the group "The Elder". Carter said that the Palestinian situation is a new apartheid.
Arrive in Bil `in about 12, shortly before the start of the weekly demonstration against the construction of the wall of apartheid '. Today there is `here all the leaders of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, except the leader Sa` dat, captured by Israel a few years ago and all `now in jail. It is the most secular party founded by George Habash, a Christian and communist, focusing on the right of return of all Palestinian refugees, from `48 onwards.
Bil `in is a small remote village to the "boundary" between two "states". The construction of the wall here at the time represented by a temporary network, has strangled and separated from his land illegally annexed automatically as de facto Israeli territory.
here for 4 years, every Friday ', the villagers out in a peaceful protest march that culminates in front of the net. The soldiers expect from `the other hand. It is a regular event. Even the script seems to be the same as I say. After ten minutes of slogans and symbolic acts, the military attacked with tear gas, water, acid, rubber bullets and sometimes we go down there heavy.
I had been warned of "heavy", yes, but I did not think SO MUCH ... I am here to express
with these people and express my solidarity, as well as pre see with my own eyes that which is said. There are several "international", as well as me. I want to see well, the curiosity than caution and I am in the middle, rather than forward, in front of the net, men, women, elderly, children, armed with a camera, and more or less ready for anything. There are two guys in a wheelchair. In everything we are fifty.
The first attack coming to the network of Israeli flags and the PFLP. This is enough to start the first volley of tear gas: a score together, coming from two different locations and explode in front of and behind us. We all run out, but there is `behind a wall of gas. Then down in the moat at the side of the road, the only way forward. But the wind is blowing in the right direction, and is a hell. The lungs are collapsing and I do not see the end of smoking. Burn to death and I feel that my lungs are about to stop working. Fighting panic. I see people in my own terms. I do not see almost nothing in reality. I leave the room to look, lit. It is a stampede. For a moment I wonder what will be 'the two in wheelchairs, and elderly, but the pain and the fear of not making it too strong, and I think to myself. I have to stand up, do not lose consciousness.
Then miraculously the gas starts to thin. He received his sight gradually, and especially the breath. People everywhere not to be groping for go to the ground. Clinging to a branch on a stick. L `all` one another. Others are on the ground writhing, other property, huddled. `Here comes the ambulance. Some people come to the aid. A girl has a respiratory arrest and panic attacks. The charge, the attack on the ventilator.
It has been around very quickly. Everything seems
already finished, we were routed, put to flight like rats in 2 minutes. Instead, the group is back together in minutes, spontaneously. Also I'm going back to approach cautiously. It is precisely the pain, the adrenalin, the disproportion, that encourage us to regroup beyond `the fear of another attack. Not long in coming.
Some boys begin to throw stones at the of `the network. Here are the whistles of lascrimogeni. Same scene as before, maybe worse. I run like crazy this time and I can stand out from the expansion of the cloud. I turn around and resume. People coming out of the smoke exhausted from trying to keep breathing. Emerges a woman in her fifties, gasps, is just out of gas collapses to the ground before my feet. I remain amazed and petrified. Like an idiot I continue to regain his body. Arriva people `s ambulance, and the load attached to the respirator. L `squirts via ambulance.
Fifteen young people between 15 and 20 throw stones with a slingshot. Get along well with the slingshot, make the big throws. `Not very effective though. `The only" success "is represented by a stone hitting one of the trucks with which the military fired tear gas. The people all exulting, success is purely symbolic, but it is obvious that this is the speed at which these people can aspire.
In every stone there are several tear gas.
goes on for an hour. Then the bulk of the group retired to a hill behind. Remain the boys throwing stones. Now the soldiers do not make more scruples (if it is ever made) and fire the shots at ground level, height of the man, directly against these guys. It is in this way three months ago and has been killed Bassam, the leader and creator of this four-year protest struck in the chest by a tear.
Let the battle from afar. The boys pulled dozens of stone, and at the same time tear-jump to dodge bullets. And it is a strange dance.
It is not over. Someone yells "Ambulance." The kids go back to holding another guy with open arms, which shows no signs of life. I do not understand whether it is or has been struck unconscious by a respiratory arrest. L `ambulance and squirts loads it on.
I pushed back a little bit forward. Another guy grabs me by the arm and starts dragging me to run back. I do not understand, I look back: the water cannon is firing the `acidic water. Coming droplets, spray drift, even so far '. The feel good in the eyes in the lungs and skin.
Once out of danger, he leaves me his arm. I look in his eyes. He says: "This is Israel. This is the occupation. Welcome in Palestine"

0 comments:

Post a Comment